Monday, September 15, 2008

17 Years of Happiness

Well, it's really longer than that but today is my 17th year wedding anniversary. And I am celebrating it with my kids since my husband had to go to Atlanta to work today. But that's OK for the last few years we have gone out with our kids, we enjoy being together!
But I wanted to write and tell you how I fell in love with my best friend--Patrick, other than the obvious-he's cute!
I was 18 years old and quit college after 1 semester. Then my parents moved to NC. I decided to stay here in GA. OK I am on my own??? So I got a job at Wendy's in a mall (yes, I was a mall rat). How boring, I was a fry girl (not a fly girl). I kind of liked the no brainer job and I met LOTS of people. After a few months I became the opening manger (not hard to become if you have a brain). Every morning when I opened the store my first costumer was this sad looking blonde guy. He ordered the same thing every morning and did NOT engage in conversation. All the employees at the store would tease me, "Hey, here comes a cute guy for you" Patrick worked at another restaurant in the mall. And he is 6 years older than me so he looked like an old man to a 18 year old. Well that was the first time I saw Patrick.
Weeks later while at a singles night out at a club he recognized me. He said, "Aren't you that 'kid' that works at Wendy's?" Well I was so embarrassed and said I did not want to ever talk to him again. Then a few weeks later I saw him at one of our church activities. There's that guy again. I did NOT talk with him. Like I said I was quite a bit younger so we hung out with different groups of people. But he was everywhere I happened to be. I grew up in this church so I knew everyone. Everyone liked Patrick, they said he is a nice guy. Even my family kept saying it. Patrick even helped my parents move back to Atlanta.
Well over time I did talk to Patrick and yes he was a nice guy. Patrick, my roommate and I quickly became friends. The three of us did everything and went every where together. I remember calling Patrick up one night asking if he would go to the movies with me because I did not want to go alone, he did, and I never thought more about it except he was one of my best friends. The two of us became even more close. I never thought about anything more than friendship with Patrick since I was so much younger. He did secretly.
Then the day came I told him I was moving to NC to go back to college. This was hard on him. Well for the next year he came and visited me. Those were so long weekends for him driving back and forth. I still thought he was a great friend. Until one day a girl asked if there was something between us, " Why? Me and Patrick? No, we are 'just' friends!" I was kind of defensive, OK I was down right mad that she was interested in him. Well, he's MY best friend, right? One of my NC friends told me I was jealous and I totally showed it in my face when she asked about us. I totally denied it. I can't like Patrick, he's my best friend, I tell him everything! He knew more about me than he should have known. (Come to think about, it's kind of cool, that he still liked me after knowing all my dark secrets...wow!)
A couple days later and a lot of soul searching (and crying) I realized I did like him. He was the nicest guy I knew. He was always there for me with no strings attached.
I called him up and said we need to talk and have a real date. My dad was going to be in a play, thought this was a safe start. So Patrick drove from Atlanta to Charlotte, NC to Murphy, NC and then took me back to Charlotte and then back to Atlanta in 2 days. That's a lot of miles!! Well, after the play was over we were walking out and he held my hand. I thought I was going to die! It felt so right and better yet, he was holding my hand in front of my dad. No boy has ever tried that before (you have to know my dad....he is tough!). I thought wow, he felt comfortable doing that in front of MY dad, he's got guts! So we planned our next date. And that night he kissed me good night. I know this will sound movieish but I knew I was going to marry this boy!
6 months later we were married.
4 years later we had our first baby.
12 years later we had our last baby.
17 years later I still love to kiss and hold his hand.
21 years later I still love to serve him fries!
We have been through all the normal marriage issues but I know I married my best friend. This story proves nice guys do have it all! I hope my girls will find a man like their dad to marry. And I hope my boys will treat their wives like Patrick treats me-very sweet!
Happy Anniversary Patrick!
I love you, pickle man!

5 comments:

Lisa said...

Sondra that was so beautiful! SO we share children's birth mons AND anniversary months. Our 18th was Sept 8...my hubby is still away too.
LLLove Lisa O

Molly Joe Levi Indigo said...

I loved this story - thanks for sharing it!

electricbluebird.com said...

I just love that story! Congratulations! Happy 17 years of wedded bliss! What an inspiration you are to us all!

Merrill

carollynne said...

hey I just knew you 2 were star crossed lovers. Happy Anniversary to you all!!! This is a very nice legacy to have for your children as well as all of us out here in bloggsville.
Your meeting and getting acquainted are right out of a Walt Disney movie!!! Ahh jealousy, yes, is a healthy feeling of love at times. I know it well.

You deserve all the best, and I am sooo glad that I got to meet you and the family at the FOTs!

Jane said...

Congrats, Sondra. I loved reading your love story, and the fun is just beginning, I'm sure. What a beautiful family.
I loved your post about Shannon's bday-what fun-y'all are so creative.