Saturday, August 30, 2008

Growing Family

Our small farm is growing. Let me introduce you to the new boys Luke and Darth. A friend of mine needed to get rid of these little roasters. They are silkies and they do not crow loud. They are not aggressive, either.
Now another friend had to move away kind of sudden. So we said we would watch her four hens. One was named but the kids named the others after girl Star Wars' characters.

Now we need to house these animals, right? But what if you have no money for a new coop? You find stuff?? We had a old dog pen and I got a free fence post from freecycle. I even dug the hole and planted the post. My arms hurt for several days. But it felt good to do it, by myself. Then Patrick helped me use some left over metal roofing sheets for the sides of the coop. Found some old hinges and wood for the door. We both think it's looks like an oven or something pretty trashy but he it didn't cost us a thing. Goes with my green acres theme on life.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey guys! this is such a cool blog! you guys are such a neat family! I hope i get down to see your place soon! but hey i got to go get brownies out of the oven.

Luv
Roni

Sondra McCoy said...

Brownies??? Yum!!! I have made 6 cakes in the last 2 months for 2 birthday and 2 parties and 2 for guest!!! Glad I love to bake. Yes, I wish you would come.

Molly Joe Levi Indigo said...

Sondra - THANK YOU for going thru all this trouble!! I appreciate it very much! Molly

carollynne said...

didja say brownies? my absolute favorite dessert! I just tried a mint brownie mix and they were gobbled up my the boyz2men in the house.

Christy said...

Logan wants some silkies once we move. Nice coop, I'm pretty sure I'm going to be converting a dog pen into my chicken coop.