Sunday, August 23, 2009

Moonflower

I had to post my pictures of our Moonflower plant. Last year Helen gave me this moonflower plant. We never got to see it bloom, since it only blooms at night. We would go out to wait, then decide to do something else, like dinner and then night life starts and totally forget about it. Then the next morning we would say, bummers we forgot to look.
It dies back in the winter or re-seeded itself. But it came back. It has really grown, twice the size as last year. It's hidden from the sun behind a tree. It has bloomed so many times this year but once again we have missed it. Once it blooms the white, main flower dies and falls off.
(The two round things hanging off the plant are the seed pods. The plant has a soft velvet stem and leaves.)

Now last night while I was trying to take pictures of a spider at twilight (talking to my sister the camera expert) I looked over and one of the flowers was in full bloom. I was so excited and it is so lovely to look at.
I am practicing with my new camera and the flowers were taking in full darkness...very nice.There was some bug inside, too.
These were two spiders that I was trying to photograph when I saw the moonflower. Was an exciting night for the girly farmer.

No comments: